We are a for profit social business with Dutch origins, passionate about transforming lives by providing high quality solar energy and financing solutions in East Africa.
About the role
SolarNow is hiring a Product Manager who will be responsible for the comprehensive development and management of the product strategy for the rural Households and Entrepreneurs. You form the bridge between operational (sales) teams and support teams like Marketing and Product Development. You have a tremendous understanding of the needs and wants of rural off grid consumers and ensure that every day our clients are a bit more satisfied with our products and services.
You are someone who cares deeply about improving livelihoods in Africa, but you bring more than passion to the role: you have the grit and resilience to make change happen. You are excited about understanding this nascent industry, the SolarNow products, its unique value proposition and the difference they make.
You have a successful track record in bringing products to rural off-grid market and are a dynamic problem-solver who has strong empathy and passion for rural off-grid households and the people you work with. You are the person who represents the client in the organisation but are at the same time the number one advocate of the product and value proposition. You are curious and do not fear to challenge the status quo, but are sensitive in how to communicate this. You build strong and effective bridges within the organisation to achieve real results. You are not afraid to fail and see it as an opportunity to learn!
Ensure revenue growth through ever increasing client satisfaction, effective communication of the value proposition and drive innovation within the client segment:
- Set the vision and strategy for the client segment and thus corresponding product line and services.
- Develop a deep understanding of the market through and decide on client/market research.
- Develop product roadmaps and priorities for product updates and new products.
- Develop & prepare annual and quarterly plans and budgets.
- Define and manage products and services for the client Segment
- Sign off on product & services, set pricing strategy and pricing of products, define the value proposition, promo materials and training materials.
- Plan new releases & manage transition between generations to avoid obsolete stock.
- Continuous monitoring of overall sales AND client satisfaction. What works, what does not work? Propose and pilot sales strategies with or without operational teams.
- Manage distribution and funding partnerships.
- Develop and manage “new ideas” to serve the client segment even better. Ensure these get collected from client research and colleagues. Prioritise and embed these in the product roadmaps;
- Support Operational Design by suggesting change that benefits the client.
Qualifications and competencies
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Business Administration or related field of studies;
- Confident, driven and dynamic leader;
- At least 10 years of product, sales or marketing experience in East Africa of which 5 in a senior role;
- At least 3 years of experience in dealing with products for off-grid rural customers in East Africa
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well in a team;
- High level of verbal and written communication skills;
- Fluent in English.
Compensation and benefits
- Salary and benefits are competitive, commensurate with experience.
As soon as possible