ACRA aims at removing poverty through sustainable, innovative solutions. The organization focuses on market-based solutions with high social and economic impact. In its development work in Africa, Central and Latina America, Asia and Europe, ACRA creates and strengthens social enterprise ventures as powerful agents of change. In the countries the organization works in, it strives to build and cultivate dynamic ecosystems for social innovation where social enterprise can grow. ACRA is a NGO with a long history; while in time ACRA has maintained a constant focus on four sectors: education, wash, natural resources management and energy, and food, in recent years the Foundation has undergone a profound change, in terms of instruments and approaches used to tackle poverty. We have shifted from traditional international development approach to one that sees inclusive business at the core of the change we want to help promote.
ACRA is considering the appointment of a qualified Programme Manager to be responsible for project implementation at management, administrative and institutional level and to ensure the proper application of EC procedures. PM will be in charge of the coordination with all the co-applicants and liaises with the Donors, and local authorities in the field and at national level. He will ensure policy dialogue and identification of new interventions.
Mainly in Lugarawa Village, Ludewa District, Njombe Region, Tanzania with frequent travel to Dar es Salaam.
Hydroelectric Energy for 20 Isolated Rural Villages in the Ludewa District, Tanzania
Estimated from May 2017, 1 year contract
Main Task and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the HQ Energy Programme Manager and the HQ Desk Officer, the PM will be in charge of multitask functions regarding the execution of the Project named “Hydroelectric Energy for 20 isolated Rural villages in the Ludewa District, Tanzania”, co-funded by European Commission (10th European Development Fund – Energy Facility II) UNIDO and EEP Program.
The main objective of the project is to increase access to modern, affordable and sustainable energy services for the benefit of the entire local population, social services (schools, dispensaries) and local businesses in 20 villages. The proposed project intends to sell excess energy to Tanesco because it will make the project economically viable from the outset. By the end of the project, the plant will be handed over to an Energy Users Entity (EUE) whose owners will be mainly the Hospital of Lugarawa (owned by the Catholic Diocese of Njombe) and the 20 served villages. The revenue will be used primarily for the maintenance and the depreciation of the facility, but also to support social services and economic development.
HQ Energy Programme Officer
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Supervise project implementation to ensure timely delivery of project activities.
- Establish and maintain a steady and active collaboration with all national level authorities (REA, EWURA, NEMC, MEM) and the main actors operating in the energy sector.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to ACRA, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Prepare Terms of References and tender documents for service providers and suppliers.
- Oversee all tender processes and ensure timely procurement of required project inputs and materials according to the procurement plan.
- Establish an M&E system, supervise data collection on program indicators and revise them according to the achievement of the Project objectives.
- Establish together with the staff and partners detailed Annual Action Plans, periodically updated.
- Participate in project evaluations and assist in the analysis of the results, assess project impact and effective use of resources.
- Recruit and manage project staff, ensuring security condition, clarity over project plans and priorities and encouraging effective team work.
- Supervise regular maintenance of Project equipment and cars.
- Manage the project budget for the assigned project and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet ACRA standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
- Comply with ACRA policies and practice with respect to code of conduct, safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
ACRA Programme Support:
- Participate in national energy sector meetings/events representing ACRA and maintain constant dialogue with the HQ Energy Programme Manager.
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned project staff, as well as other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Assist the HQ Energy Programme Manager to develop and implement an appropriate and effective energy sector strategy, setting clear objectives and indicators for energy activities in consultation with other energy actors present in the Country.
- Develop approaches, methodologies and models for renewable energy interventions together with the HQ Energy Programme Manager.
- Develop new proposals and revise ACRA- energy country strategy, in conjunction with HQ Programme Energy.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Strong experience in project management, possibly in renewable energies, with at least 7 years’ experience
Knowledge in renewable energies
- Experience in managing projects funded by the EC
- Proved experience in managing tender procedures and dealing with bidder and contracts, proven knowledge of EU PRAG
- Ability to work under pressure and ability to develop and work within a team
- Experience in working with administrative and technical local Authorities, supporting capacity building activities and coordination mechanisms
- Good knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
- Good knowledge and experience in participatory approaches
- Experience of participation in international forums.
- Knowledge of institutional donors
- Good project proposal writing skills as well as excellent reporting skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, and diplomacy
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in rural working circumstances.
- Mastering of MS Office package, Internet, e-mail
- International Driving License
- Knowledge in natural resource management
- Knowledge of accounting software, GIS systems, statistical packages
- Knowledge of Italian and Kiswahili
- Experience or knowledge of working in East African Countries
HOW TO APPLY
Interested persons have to send their Curriculum Vitae in English (max 3 pages) with (3) two references to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating in the object REF: EnergyLuga PM 2017
Last date for receipt of applications is Monday 28th March 2017